13 April, 2011

ARRRRG!

As you may have guessed, I am having a bit of trouble with my novel.  I cannot wrestle the plot into shape.  I know what I want to have happen, but getting it to happen is another thing entirely.

I think the problem is that I'm not completely convinced by the characters involved.  Most of them are reoccuring characters that already have their own stories.  They behave in perdictable ways, so their reactions to my main characters is not the hard part.

It's these two new characters that won't do as I say.  Everytime I try to write a scene, it just doesn't feel right.  I can't explain it any other way.  I read what I've written and go...meh.  Then I rework it.

Mmmmm...rework it again.
No, no, no, no...again.
grumblegrumblegrumble....and again.
No!  Stop that!...AGAIN.

Until finally:  ARRRRG!

That's where I am now.  I've tried changing perspective, writing scenes earlier and later, doing research, changing the timeline entirely, even writing little background pieces about the minor characters in the novel.

Nothing.

My imgaination is as but a dry desert, parched for meaningful plot.

*sigh*

E.T.

0 comments: