01 May, 2011

I've tried my best

So, just about every one in entire world has heard some form of this phrase: There is nothing new under the sun.  There are no new plots.  If I had gone to school for literature, I'm sure I could tell you what these archetypes are.  Maybe I'll look them up later.  But, the point is, it is up to the author to couch these plots in new and exciting ways, some original or interesting. 

But there is one story that I simply think is stupid, no matter how it is told and if I ever take on the challenge of wrestling with it, it will look nothing like the original.

Romeo and Juliet.

Those two make me want to tear my hair out.  And don't tell me how 'romantic' it is.  I think it's dumb.  My argument is begun and concluded in this simple sentence.  If Romeo could sneak in and see Juliet at her balcony, why didn't she just climb down and then run away with him and live happily ever after somewhere?

Why go through all the secret letters and meetings and stuff?  You've already proven capable of sneaking out?  Why take sleeping potion, when you could have just agreed to marry what's-his-face and then run away and sent a letter to Romeo then?  Epic Fail.  Face---->Desk.

And yes, I know the point is to highlight the irony of their situation and the tragedy and other literary things.  I still  makes me grumpy.  If had been a spectator back in the day, I think I might have walked out.

Bah!

E. T.

0 comments: