27 May, 2011

Sci-fi Kick

So, I've been on a bit of a science fiction kick lately.  I've been watching silly sci-fi stuff on Netflix.  I've been reading sci-fi stuff.  So, naturally, I've started writing a sci-fi space-opera sort of thing.

I love it.  It's super fun.  I get to make stuff up.  Sci-fi is "supposed" (note sarcastic quotes) to be based in science, but if it's ten thousand years in the future and in another solar system, who's to say it isn't science?

So what makes science fiction different from magic-type fairy-tales?  I'll give you a hint.

Nothing.

Of all the reading I do, I have discovered that most stories involving either a cowboy/girl, a space-man/woman, a prince/-cess, or a knight-in-shining-armor/er...can't think of a fem version of knight..., are the same story.  That's why they're so awesome.  It's all about a hero and a villain.  If that villain happens to be a fifty-foot tentacled space invader as opposed to a fire breathing dragon, well...

E. T.

0 comments: