21 May, 2012

500 Word Challenge Chapter Thirty

500 WC Chapter 30
Word Count: 587

“Good morning, Mr. Savage.”
Colton groaned. “Not so loud,” he pleaded weakly.

Alice only laughed mercilessly. “How many I help you today?”

“I’m not coming in.”

“I guessed, since its ten thirty and you sound like you’ve been hit with a truck.”

“Not a truck,” Colton assured her. “Just a six pack.”

“And how is Mrs. Savage feeling after your imbibing?”

Colton glared at the phone. “How should I know?”

“Aren’t you lying next to her right now?”

Colton looked at the empty pillow. “She’s in the shower.” He lied. “But she seems fine.”

“I’m sure she is.” Alice purred at him.

“Shut up.” Colton threw his phone across the room. It beeped consolingly, telling him he had messages. He ignored it and put his head under his pillow.


Mrs. Savage was indeed fine. She was working out in the gym.

Colton halted mid-step as he passed the little room, backing up to watch her jog on the treadmill.

“What are you doing?” he asked.

She twisted to look at him. “Jogging,” she said with a smile. “Are you still drunk?”

“No.” Colton snapped. Unfortunately. He continued down to his office. After sitting and staring at his laptop screen for an hour and accomplishing nothing, he gave up. He went back to the kitchen. The sugar cookies made a mound of glistening, buttery goodness on a plate on the table. Colton rummaged through the refrigerator. Rosa rescued him from a bowl of cereal.

She had a steaming meal ready in moments. Colton ate slowly, his headache easing as filled his very empty stomach. Full, he went in search of Renee.

She was in her bedroom, standing with her back to the door.

“No.” She said, low and fierce. “No, I will not.”

Colton leaned against the door frame, willing to bet quite a bit of his money he knew whose caller id was lit up next to her ear.

“I’m not lying,” she said. “No, stop…no. Look, I’ve told you a million times- Will you let me finish?”

Colton scowled as Stephen’s voice rose on the other end of the phone. He marched over and yanked Renee’s cell from her hand.

“Is it him?” he asked, holding it out of reach.

She scowled, which he took for a yes. He held it to his ear.

“Stephen, right?”

“Who the-”

“Leave my wife alone. Stop calling her.”

“Hold on-”

“Do not call here again.” He ended the call. “How do I block a number on your phone?”

Renee blushed. “I don’t need to block it.”

“Then stop answering his calls.”

“I can take care of myself, Colton.”

“Don’t answer them.” He snapped, keeping her phone out of reach. “Promise me.”

She rocked back on her heels. “What?”

“Promise me you’ll stop answering his calls. Don’t call him.”

She glared at him. “Give me my phone back. Now.” She held out her hand.

Colton glared back. “Promise first.”

“I don’t need your-”

“Well, guess what, you get my help anyway. Stop talking to him. He has no right to yell at you or be mean to you.” He knocked her hands away. “Swear it, or I’m smashing your phone with a hammer.”

Renee huffed. “I promise.”

“If he calls again, ignore it. If he uses a different number, hang up. Or give it to me.”

Renee was looking at him oddly, almost bewildered. “Okay.” She said finally.

He grunted at her, handing the cell back. He left, ready to go back to sleep for another ten hours.

0 comments: