20 April, 2012

500WC Chapter Twenty-six

500 Word Challenge Chapter Twenty-six
word count: 502

He was trying to work when Renee knocked on the door frame.
He glared at her as she slipped in, shutting the door behind her.

“What?” he snapped.

She was twisting her fingers together. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to lose my temper.”

He scowled at her. “I’m busy.” He said, looking back at his screen.

“I know.” She took a deep breath. “We broke up because I…not exactly cheated on him, but…”

She looked like she might cry. Colton took a deep breath and tried not to glower so severely.

“But?” he prompted.

“I just…didn’t like him like that anymore.”

Colton pushed away from the desk, his chair creaking as he leaned back. “How long did you date?”

“About a year.” Renee sighed. “He’s a nice guy and everything. I just…”

“What did you do?”

“I started hanging out with one of his friends more than he liked. We had a big fight and I broke it off.”

“Were you living together?”

“No!” she looked offended. “Of course not!”

Colton must have looked as confused by her answer as he felt because she explained, blushing a little.

“I…we weren’t sleeping together.”

He blinked. “What?”

“I know.” She said with a weak smile. “Hard to believe, but I didn’t sleep with him or with Trevor, or any other of my boyfriends.”

“Why not?” He winced. “Sorry, don’t answer.”

Her smile was a little more natural. “Anyway, I don’t have a boyfriend.” She looked up. “And I’m sorry you had to dump your girlfriend. She’s very pretty.”

Colton shrugged. “I guess.”

“You guess? Are you blind?”

“All my girlfriends are like that.” He wanted to bite back those words as soon as he said them. Renee’s eyebrows disappeared under her bangs. “I mean, I usually date that type of girl. Not just models, I mean, but…” He gave up, pressing his hands to temples. “Anything else?” he asked wearily.

“No. I’m sorry.” She said again.

“I know. Me, too.”

“You took some meds?”

He nodded.

“You should call your doctor.” Renee said, sounded anxious.

“I’m just tired.” He hedged. He was. He hadn’t been sleeping at all.

“Call him in the morning.” Renee urged. “Please.”

“I will.” Colton promised.

“Good night.”

“Night, Renee.”

The door opened and shut softly. Colton leaned froward, resting his forehead on the cool wood of the desk. He swore weakly. A jealous ex-boyfriend was the very last thing he needed to deal with.

And Renee was a virgin?

He sat up with a start.

That shouldn’t matter. It wouldn’t matter, because the second she was free to leave Spain, she was going home.

No, she couldn’t. They had to pretend for everyone, be a perfect happy, love at first sight couple.

He wondered briefly why she hadn’t had sex yet. She was young and pretty, vivacious, confident. If he’d been dating her, he would have-

Colton dug out his cell phone and dialed his doctor. He was going crazy. It was the only answer.

0 comments: