22 September, 2011

A Case of the Giggles

So, I have a confession.

More of a admission really.  Sometimes, when I'm having a really, truly, awfully, terrible day I make myself laugh by reading the backs of romance novels.

Oh, if you could feel the mortification that is uncoiling in my breast!  I can't believe I worked up the pluck to admit it!  And I'm laughing, too, just thinking about it!

It never fails to crack me up, reading the little blurb on the back of a romance novel.  My great-grandmother reads them exclusively, so I generally have a good stock of them around to pick up.  I don't actually read the book.  The back is enough, the two paragraphs about the unworthy, rakish, jaded and world-weary - devilishly handsome! - man and the feisty/shy/travel-through-time woman who comes to claim his heart.  Gerogette Heyer had it right: everyone loves a reformed rake.

If ever your having a bad day, try it sometime.  If you've half the over-active imagination I have, you'll be rolling on the floor.  Sometimes I do it in bookstores and the other patrons look at me like I'm crazy.  Put the words in the deep announcer voice they use for movie previews.

That's all for today.  Just thought I'd share that with you all.  And if you ever see a woman standing in the romance section giggling, you'll know what's going on.  :)

0 comments: